Monday, August 24, 2020

      

     Jesus, both as man and as God, had (has) a complete and total lack of egotism - he had no "excessive and objectionable reference to oneself, conceit, boastfulness, in conversation or writing, no over developed sense of self-importance" He did not have "an excessively favorable opinion of one's own ability or importance". He was not "wise in his own conceits" rather He "made himself of no reputation and " upon him the form of a servant and was made in the likeness of men: and being found in fashion as a man, HE HUMBLED HIMSELF". Jesus only did what his Father (not Joseph) taught him to do, he only spoke what his Father gave him to speak. He said "i do nothing of myself (for myself) but as my father has taught me, I speak these things." What do you think Jesus was doing when he "went up into a mountain apart (alone) to pray"? He was spending intimate time with his Father - receiving instructions, counsel, words to speak and future deeds to do. Like a soldier far from his command post, he was radioing in to receive his marching orders from his commander in chief.

     Jesus, and only he, can say "he that sent me is with me: the Father has not left me alone; for I do always the things that please him." This is a goal, albeit a lofty one, for each of us to pursue. This has become my heart's sincere desire- to speak to the Body of Christ only those things which I have heard of him and to always do those things that please him. I want my Father to one day say of me "This is my beloved son in whom i am well pleased". Jesus had no hidden motivations or agendas - he did not seek to glorify himself, his only desire was to glorify his Father "for the son of man shall come in the glory of his father" not his own glory. Jesus said "I seek not mine own glory." He taught us not to honor ourselves- for the praise of men profits us nothing, indeed, it is harmful to us. "If I  honor myself,  my honor is nothing - it is my Father that honors me." He continually pointed us to, led us to by his example, honor our Father - "Our Father, which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done......for Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory" Jesus prayed "Father, glorify Thy name." 

     We should not seek to glorify our own names. A long time ago I asked my Lord to never allow my name to be known, or glorified in any way. Even now I wish to be known from now on as "that disciple whom Jesus loves." Jesus  modeled an ego-free life for us and I want to follow his example. When I meet people, I don't want them to just meet me but He who sent me. I want to say with Jesus "I have not spoken of myself, but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak." We should not speak of ourselves but of him who has sent us. Men who name their ministries after themselves still have not fully crucified their own egos. If I was a pastor, I wouldn't even put my name on the outside of the building.  The truth is, there is only one ministry we should glorify and honor on the earth today and that is the ministry of the Holy Spirit.  He invites us, calls us and anoints us to join Him because we ourselves  have no ministry in and of ourselves, apart from Him. "I am the vine, you are the branches.....without me you can do nothing" "I know nothing of myself ". 'The anointing teaches all things."

     Because we can do nothing apart from Him, because it is his anointing alone (not Bible college, not man's approval) that enables us to become "labourers together with God". We can in no way, shape or form take glory for ourselves for "every good gift, and every perfect gift, is from above and comes down from the Father of lights" isn't this a lovely way to refer to the Father? Each of us who are birthed by Him, belong to Him and He has made us "blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom you shine as lights in the world: hold forth the Word of life...." to all - some will rejoice, others will curse but all will bear witness to the "Light of Life" "I am the Light of the world; he that follows me shall not walk in darkness,  but shall have the Light of life." He is the sun, we are the moon, reflecting his light into this world's present darkness. "I know that His commandment is life everlasting; whatever I speak therefore,  even as the Father said unto me, so I speak," This is how Jesus could say "The words that I speak unto you, are Spirit and are life" because they came from the Father - the source of all life. In Him we live and move and have our being. This entire world was created to house our physical bodies but He also created a heaven to house our spirits. 

     There is indeed only one glory our souls should seek in this life - "Let him that glorieth , glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord which excersises lovingkindness,  judgment,  and righteousness in the earth, for in these things I delight, saith the Lord" And so Paul, full of the Holy Spirit reminds us "as it is written, he that glorieth, glory in the Lord." When people call me a great man of God I (gently) admonish them and tell them I am not great but I serve "the great God of man." Too many are seeking to build their own kingdom, not God's.  If He exalts us it is only so we may exalt Him "Father, the hour is come, glorify thy Son, that thy Son may also glorify Thee." How do we become  invited to be found among the number that are priveleged to remain before His throne forever? We must "Fall down before Him" of our own will, "that sat on the Throne, and worship Him that lives forever and ever, and cast (our) crowns before the Throne." "Saying" (we must say this also, from the depths of our hearts) "You are worthy (alone) to receive glory and honour and power: now pay attention - this is crucial -"for You have created all things; and for your pleasure they are and were created." He put pleasures on this earth for us to enjoy - a glorious sunset, a stunningly fragrant and beautiful flower, the sound of our two year old giggling as we play with her - but they are here because He gets pleasure from giving us joy, as a good Father would. The truth is - we exist for His pleasure, not the other way around.  And notice "they are and were created" - all creation (including us) that makes it into His presence forever- will go through a recreation, a new heaven and a new earth and a new glorified, body. We were created, in our former lives, for His pleasure and we are created, in our eternal lives, for His pleasure. Pleasing Him is our highest honor and our chief pursuit in this life. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to share thoughts, comments or questions.

 Part three You kept your life for yourself, never sharing it with him (again i repeat: just going to a religious service once a week is not...