Friday, November 29, 2013

Twas the day after Thanksgiving
and all through the house
not a person was eating
not even my spouse.
We'd had dreams of turkey all through the night
and we knew we couldn't eat one more bite.
But as we arose with the morning sun
we heard a great clatter!
I cried out "What in tarnation!"
And I ran to see what was the matter.
I heard a cackle and I heard a strange laughter,
then what to my wondering eyes did appear?
But Tom Turkey himself, plain and clear!
He came charging down the stairs from my roof,
landed in my kitchen and said "What's up with you?"
I was too shocked at first to reply,
so he said to me with a twinkle in his eye
(as he looked at our left over turkey's remains)
"You may have got to my cousin, I forget his name,
but you'll never catch me!" he proudly exclaimed!
"I fight for the freedom of my brethren everywhere!"
As he pulled out a gun I couldn't help but stare.
"Yes, someday soon us turkeys will fight back!"
"You'd better get ready and prepare to be attacked!"
"If you think we'll continue to calmly be slaughtered,
why, you're crazier than a river otter!"
"No, we'll resist and I'm leading the way."
And he shook his wings like fists
as his beard bobbled and swayed.
He then fired his gun into the ceiling twice,
looked at the damage and said "that'll suffice."
He leapt to the window sill and looking back with glee
he said "Happy Thanksgiving, Turkey!"
And this he proclaimed as he flew out of sight -
"Freedom for all and to all a fair fight!"

"Man that's one wild turkey" I said
as I watched him go,
"looks like I'm gonna have to buy a bullet proof stove!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to share thoughts, comments or questions.

 Part three You kept your life for yourself, never sharing it with him (again i repeat: just going to a religious service once a week is not...