Friday, May 24, 2024

The Prodigal Father

 
My son was so beautiful 
  the day he was born.
I loved him with all my heart
  on that wonderful morn.
I thought I'd always be there  to watch him grow
  and teach him all that he would need to know.
But the world began to call me away  -
  the lusts of my flesh led me astray.
Before I knew it  - there came a day,
   when I left my dear boy to go my own way.

I then took my fill of women and vice.
I drank and I smoked and I didn't think twice.
I had no end of parties and friends 
that is until I had no more money to spend. 
Then all of those women, and all I did know,
  quickly decided that I had to go.
Regret and lonliness became too much to bear,
 I thought of my son  - how I wished I was there!
I longed to return
to the life I had spurned....
Oh how difficult was the lesson I learned!
Oh how I yearned for the wife of my youth  -
and I longed for my son: I'm telling the truth!
Surely they've forgotten me long ago  -
But I ached for them so much I turned for home.
Thoughts of what to say to them raced through my brain.
What could I possibly say? How could I explain?
I'd tell them I'm sorry  - will you please forgive?
I've come to my senses  - now I want to live.
With you, my loved ones  - I'm so ashamed, 
for causing you sorrow, for causing you pain.

When I stepped on the road that led to their door  -
  I dared not hope that they'd love me once more. 

My son saw me first and somehow he knew  -
  He dropped his ball and yelled "DAD, IT'S YOU!"
He ran to me and fell on my neck,
 his tears flowed free, my heart was a wreck...
My tears mixed with his as I held him tight
then I looked up to see such a wonderful sight!
My wife stood there  - a big smile displayed:
"I never lost hope  - each day I prayed.
  I watched and I waited, so patiently, 
    for you to return and come back to me".

"Will you forgive "?
"I already have"
"Now come and live     as husband    and dad"

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to share thoughts, comments or questions.

 Many pastors will only accept people into their congregation who they feel smarter than and who they have authority over. These pastors are...